Wednesday 10 January 2018

Update on me and things

So overall I am good, I have a few interesting projects that I am working on and my foot is still healthy, check out the BDS to see how things are progressing with the charity. 

Slightly off topic for the rest of today but I wanted to mention another project that I have been working on that might cross over to the work I am doing on Dupuytren’s and Ledderhose. In my work I have been utilising various skills over the last decade now I have gained experience in the sciences, which is why this blog stared, and also in data analytics, database development and more recently python and machine learning. Stick with me here I am going somewhere.

You see I have started another blog on python and one of my projects with this is to do some analytics around the Dupuytren’s and Ledderhose area. There are some potentially interesting things I can do if we can get the data together that will enabled me to do it. I have had a look at the data from the 2015 survey and I am not sure that we asked the right questions in quite the right way for this kind of study.

For example the DupStudy is going to be collecting a lot of medical data and biological samples for patients and control groups, I would like to do a study (not dissimilar to the one presented at the 2015 Dupuytren’s Symposium) on whether there are any lifestyle factors that contribute a) to the onset of Dupuytren’s b) severity of Dupuytren’s and c) age of onset. Given the relatively small datasets I would be working with it would not likely yield amazing results, but you never know what could be found. By study I actually mean get the computer to do the work for me, I have been working with Neural Network and machine learning which means we might be able to spots trends and patterns in patients and therefore make predictions that would not be seen by human analysis. For now this is just a pipe dream and maybe one day it will happen.

I will need to have a discussion with some of my contacts and see if this is something we can get going.


For those that followed it the 2191 challenge is now complete, check out the link to the right to see how to got on, for January 2018 I am taking a break from running to make sure that my body heals from the niggles I developed towards the end of the year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment